Departing from Dazen, Coolpad has taken a cautious step to kick-start their lone journey in India. The company has launched a device in affordable segment that actually throws more than what the buyer expect from it. We got our hands on the device and here is a Coolpad Note 3 review in a consumer point of view.
In case you aren’t aware of the specifications, still, have a quick look at it before you know why we call it as “redefining affordable smartphone segment”.
Specifications of Coolpad Note 3
|Device Name||Coolpad Note 3|
|Processor||MediaTek MT6753 1.3 GHz octa-core processor|
|Display||5.5 inch HD IPS Panel|
|Storage||16GB & expandable upto 64GB|
|Rear Camera||13 megapixel with f2.0 aperture|
|Front Camera||5 megapixel|
|OS||Cool UI 6.0 on top of Android Lollipop v5.1|
|Connectivity||LTE, Bluetooth, WiFi|
|Other||Dual SIM – Dual 4G, Fingerprint Scanner|
No, that’s not a flagship or a hefty price tag device spec. This device is priced at Rs. 8,999!
Coolpad is a not-so-known company in India. But they have a history of manufacturing mobiles and spare parts for many companies. Going by that, the company has not compromised on the hardware of Note 3 in any corner. As said before, Coolpad is offering a high-end specced device at very affordable price.
The main USP in terms of the hardware of this device is, 3GB RAM, dual SIM with both supporting 4G network and a fingerprint scanner. Coolpad Note 3 offers a very sturdy fingerprint sensor. It is better and accurate when compared to OnePlus 2’s fingerprint sensor! Apart from this, the device offers a hardware that is similar to any other device which is trying to revolutionize the Indian smartphone industry in affordable segment.
BUILD QUALITY / ERGONOMICS
Yes, Coolpad is a China based company, but No, their device is not cheap at all! The device flaunts a beautiful 5.5-inch screen on the front with three capacitive keys below the display. It comes with a baby skin matte finish on the back that makes it less slippery to hold. As it is of white color, expect it to get dirty quickly.
The device comes in a 9.33mm thickness and weighs 160 grams. Though it looks fatter and heavier compared to other devices, one can hold it firmly due to curvy edges and matte back panel. We never felt it heavier to hold. There is a metallic rim that goes around the device holding the display strongly.
The power button is on the right side and volume rockers on the left hand side of the device. These are placed towards the curvy edges that makes it hidden when seen from the front. The fingerprint scanner sits below the rear camera. There is a metallic rim around the rear camera as well.
Overall, the Coolpad has done a really good in terms of the design of Note 3.
The Coolpad Note 3 comes with 5.5-inch HD IPS display with approx. 267 pixels per inch. That is perfectly okay for the price tag. But the display was insanely good, bright and vivid. It throws a better color contrast, under normal light. When exposed to the direct sunlight, the display becomes very reflective and makes it hard to view.
The device runs on Android Lollipop version 5.1 with company’s own Cool UI 6.0 layer built on top of it. The UI looks very much similar to any Chinese phone which is iOS look alike. But the Cool UI is very colorful. The settings screen has an icon in different colors.
There is a Cool show application that helps us in customizing the UI. We can change the theme, fonts, sounds, a lockscreen style and lot more. The system also supports wake-up gestures like double tap turns on the screen, sliding up to unlock the phone and there are options that can open the application directly by typing characters. There is a multiscreen option as well built into the OS.
The quick settings panel has a numerous options as well.
Again, the software is perfect for the device. With all these options built-in, the device consumes just ~650MB of RAM and the rest 1.9GB will be available for the end user usage.
The Note 3 packs 13MP rear camera with f2.0 aperture and a 5MP front camera. Again, for the price tag it is perfectly fine.
Talking about the camera performance, I’m still skeptical. Some images with like “wow” but at the same time, some of them produced a bright layer around the objects. During the daylight, the rear camera was able to capture some great images. They were warm and produced good color. But under the low light scenario, there were too much of the noise and thus the details were washed out.
The camera does with some pre-built features like face beauty, HDR and gesture shots. There are also some effects like mono, elegant and movie layers. The pro mode will let you manually handle the white balance, exposure, ISO using an interface.
The front facing camera is decent as well. Though it adds too much of brightness to the images. Overall, the camera performance is good for the money, but surely not best.
Let’s divide the performance into different sections and see where it stands in each segment.
- Fingerprint Scanner: Stunning! If we have to mention what is the main USP of Coolpad Note 3 is, we will surely go with the fingerprint scanner. It supports 360 degree scanning and it is accurate. We can configure upto 5 fingerprints. It is very simple to program the sensor. One can unlock the device even when the display is off. Additionally, we can even lock the app which can be unlocked only with your fingerprint! How cool is that? This is the only device currently in the market that can offer such feature and a fingerprint scanner. Trust me when I say this, the fingerprint works like a charm. During my usage, I never felt it failed to recognize my fingerprint. Thus I call it as a better sensor compared to what we saw in OnePlus 2 (yeah, I’m comparing it with a flagship device that cost around Rs. 25,000!).
- Sound: The speaker is kept in the rear part and it is obvious to expect the low audio output when kept on the flat surface. This doesn’t change for the normal usage as well. The speaker produces below average output. Was completely not satisfied with the audio out of the device. Even the earplugs were not able to convince us in this matter.
- Gaming: With 3GB of RAM and 1.9GB available for the end user, you can play any highend game with Coolpad Note 3. The games run very smoothly though we faced some hiccups during heavy graphics. The worst part is again the heating issue. Similar to most of the devices out there, the device gets heated up after continuously playing the games for 30mins. The devices’ rear panel around the camera got heated up to 45 degrees which is not optimal for holding it in bare hands!
- Battery: We are very much happy with the battery backup of the device. Unlike others, we don’t calculate the battery performance on how long it lasted. For a day or two. But what really matters is the screen-on-time usage. The 3000mAh battery was able to provide whooping 5 hours of SOT upon normal usage. Under the wifi only usage, it was more than that!
Getting to more geeky section and for those who wants to know the benchmark score, Coolpad Note 3 performed better in this category as well.
Geekbench Score: Single Core – 612 & Multi Core – 2799
Quadrant Score: 19491
The Coolpad is sold at Rs. 8,999 in India and the company has already sold over a lakh devices. With a 3GB of RAM, perfectly working fingerprint scanner and for the best in range battery backup, our verdict will be “JUST GO FOR IT”. None of the device in this range are providing such good hardware specification and are up to this device in terms of performance.
Coolpad Note 3
"After being sold as white labelled devices under multiple OEMs in the subcontinent, the Chinese masterclass has entered the burning rig with it’s ultra affordable device, the Coolpad Note 3. The Coolpad Note 3 is primarily focused to be a really affordable device which will take on numerous bestsellers, one being a device of the Coolpad family itself, the YU Yureka. More Details: https://storiesio.com/coolpad-relaunches-in-india-with-the-coolpad-note-3-2896/"
- Fingerprint Scanner
- Battery Life
- 3GB RAM
- Heating issue while playing games
- Loud speaker
- No LED capacitive buttons
- HARDWARE 95%
- ERGONOMICS 90%
- DISPLAY 85%
- SOFTWARE 90%
- CAMERA 75%
- PERFORMANCE 90%